Missile Troops and Artillery
The Missile Troops and Artillery (MT & A) are an Arm of the Land Force, which is the primary means of fire and nuclear destruction of the enemy during conduct of combined-arms operations (combat actions). They are designed to perform the following main tasks:
• achievement and keeping of fire superiority over the enemy;
• defeat of its means of nuclear attack, manpower, weapons, military and special equipment;
• disruption of troops and weapons’ control systems, reconnaissance and electronic warfare;
• destruction of long-term defence installations and other infrastructure;
• disruption of operational and military logistics;
• weakening and isolation of the second echelons and reserves of the enemy;
• destruction of tanks and other armoured vehicles of the enemy breaking into the depth of defence;
• cover of open flanks and junctions;
• participation in destruction of aircraft and amphibious assault forces of the enemy;
• remote mining of areas and facilities;
• light support of night actions of troops;
• smoke-screening, blinding of enemy targets;
• distribution of propaganda materials, etc.
Organisationally the MT & A consist of missile, rocket, artillery brigades, including high-power mixed, artillery battalions, rocket artillery regiments, separate reconnaissance battalions, as well as artillery of combined-arms brigades and military bases.
Further development and increase of combat capabilities of the MT & A of the LF are put into life by means of creating reconnaissance-fire units, including on interim basis, ensuring defeat of targets in real time, equipment of formations and units of the MT & A with high-precision weapons, increasing of firing range and power of the ammunition used, and automation of processes for preparation and firing.