Terrorism has become part of day-to-day life and a relatively stable social phenomenon. It poses a growing threat to the security of many countries and their citizens, causes significant political, economic and moral damage, brings stress to lots of people and takes away lives, killing primarily civilians. Moreover, terrorist attacks are becoming more diverse and complex. Terrorism today is a complex system of complementary aspects, including ideological, criminal, military, economic, political, religious and nationalistic ones. In general, terrorism is a response to the continuous foot dragging in resolving burning social issues.
Combating terrorism includes prevention, identification, suppression and minimization of terror effects.
Counterterrorism operations are special operations intended to suppress a terrorist attack, secure civilians, neutralize terrorists and minimize the effects of the attack.
Armed Forces of the Russian Federation fight terrorism under the auspices of the following legal documents: Constitution of the Russian Federation, Federal Law “On the Fight against Terrorism”, international treaties, executive orders of the Russian President, resolutions and directives of the RF Government, as well as directives issued by the RF Minister of Defense, Chief of General Staff of the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation, commanders-in-chief of the Armed Services of the Russian Federation, commanders of the fighting arms and commanders of military district forces (fleets).
As stipulated by Federal Law of the Russian Federation No. 130-FZ of July 25, 1998 “On the Fight against Terrorism”, Ministry of Defense of the Russian Federation shall interface with the other agencies involved in counterterrorism operations to address the following tasks:
- Secure currently deployed weapons of mass destruction, missile fleet, small arms, ammunition and explosives;
- Defend assets of the RF Ministry of Defense;
- Secure national maritime traffic and the air space of the Russian Federation;
- Conduct counterterrorism operations.
Below is the list of key strategic functions of the RF Ministry of Defense in combating international terrorism:
- Analyze the information on the current status of international terrorism, its dynamics and escalation trends;
- Formulate suggestions on developing cooperation in combating terrorism;
- Take part in developing an effective counterterrorism system in line with the current tactical situation and terrorism development trends;
- Coordinate joint efforts intended to prevent terrorist attacks on nuclear sites or attacks involving weapons of mass destruction;
- Take part in special operations to eliminate illegal armed groups and block illegal traffic of arms, ammunition and fissile and highly toxic materials;
- Prevent the development of pro-terrorist views and sentiments among general public.